Author: Lauren Child
Illustrated by: Lauren Child
Recommended ages: 3-6
Review by: Susie Sparks, Calgary Reads Volunteer Tutor
One of my children was a truly voracious reader. She liked nothing better than to curl up with a book that she could read, start to finish, in one sitting. But as she got older and learned to appreciate novels, she would become fixated on her particular favourites, reading them over and over again. I could never understand why, with so much great literature to choose from, she insisted on going back to her old tried-and-true standbys. So, when I picked up But Excuse Me That is My Book, I immediately thought of my Molly.
This delightful little story is about Charlie’s little sister, Lola, who has gone to the library and discovered a book that she loves about bugs, beetles and butterflies. However, she was quite dismayed to learn that she had to return it after two weeks and that others might want a chance to read it, too. “But Charlie,” says Lola, “that is my favourite book and I really need it now, now, now!”
Charlie tries to show her the many wonderful books in the library, but Lola will not listen. “Oh no, Charlie! Look! That girl’s got my book. I don’t think she knows it is my book!”
No matter what book Charlie tries to show her, Lola just isn’t interested…. but finally Lola agrees to at least look at the pictures in a book about cheetahs and chimpanzees. And of course, you know what happens next….
Great questions to ask kids about this book:
- How old do you think Lola is?
- Do you think she can read words yet? What makes you think that?
- Why do you think she likes the book about bugs, beetles and butterflies?
- What does Charlie do to try to change her mind?
- What is your very favourite book? Why do you like it the best?
- Do you like to read other books about the same subject?
- Would you like to go on a library search for another book about your favourite subject?
Join the online book club discussion!
- Teachers, tutors and parents, what other conversations have you had about this book?
- What comments have children made?